Here is just a collection of things that I enjoy and will give you a better idea of the world I live in....
Please take some time to browse through my previous postings on the left side of the page.

I hope you enjoy my random thoughts and blog subjects...
thanks - Mike


ferroequinologist (n)


Latin ferrum iron + Latin equus horse + -logist
A railroad or model railroad enthusiast. (From Dow's Dictionary of Railway Quotations.) "Ferroequino" derives from the Latin for "iron horse," an early term for a locomotive.


NOW MY BLOG POSTS...

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Product Review Fast Tracks


One of the decisions regarding my layout was to hand lay my track work in areas that are visible. It looks 100 times better than the typical factory produced flex or sectional track. I use code 83 track size that is more prototypical, and the tracks over all look with the individual wood ties looks outstanding. One of the most difficult aspects of laying your own track are the switches. Keeping everything in gauge, functioning correctly and appearance is difficult. It take many years of experience to produce a hand laid switch for instance.

I have found a product that you may be interested in. It is well known by advanced modelers and I find it to be one of the best ways to produce your switches perfectly every time. It is called Fast Tracks. This product uses a fixture to produce the switch, you can even buy the laser cut ties as well that neatly fit within the switch. The upfront cost is not cheap but not outrageous either, but if your going to produce lots of switches, the cost per switch versus Walthers, Shinohara, or Pico is cheaper and the results are remarkable. It took about two switches for me to get the methodology down pat but once you figure out the got cha's you will be proud of your work. It takes time to do these and is far much more work than installing a factory switch, but when it is all said and done, you will find a great deal of pride in knowing that your trackage is hand laid.
Web site ; www.handlaidtrack.com/











I give this product 5 out of 5 lanterns, Ron and Tim are great to work with, and the produ
ct workmanship is great.


No comments: